You do the work and generate a warm hot lead. It was all going so well until the client stalled. In this blog post Heather Townsend shares an exclusive extract from the 2nd edition of ‘How to make partner and still have a life’ (Click here for a free sample chapter) and details why your clients may stall in the buying process and how to stay in touch with them until they are ready to buy.
In an ideal world you will meet a potential client and at the point when they will be ready to buy and know exactly the service that they need from you. Now back to reality! Most prospective clients you will meet are not ready to buy from you just yet. It may be that:
- the time isn’t right for them;
- they don’t yet have enough confidence in your capability to entrust you with some work;
- their budgetary timetable means they don’t yet have the money to spend with you. (This is particularly true when you are dealing with clients from the public sector in the UK.)
As a result, you need to be able to keep your name highly visible with your prospective client and maintain the relationship and trust until they are ready to buy.
When you are keeping in touch with a potential client your aim is to be helpful but non-intrusive. For example you could:
- regularly send them articles which they will find interesting;
- interact with them on social networking sites such as LinkedIn and Twitter;
- invite them to join you at events such as conferences or seminars;
- arrange regular catch-up conversations or meetings;
- send them (with their permission) the firm’s regular newsletter.
Many professionals leave the keeping in touch to chance, partly because this isn’t a chargeable activity! However, if you are going to successfully build your own portfolio, then you will improve your ability to win work considerably by having processes and systems to enable you to maintain a good level of contact with potential clients.
Get your copy of the 2nd edition of How to make partner and still have a life
To get your copy of How to make partner and still have a life at a 20% discount, use code HTMPG20 at the checkout on the Kogan Page website. Click on the image buy your copy
This article originally appeared in a different form on the How To Make Partner website.
Heather Townsend helps professionals become the The Go-To Expert. She is the author of the award winning and best-selling book on business networking, the ‘FT Guide To Business Networking’, Poised for partnership and the co-author of ‘How to make partner and still have a life’, and ‘The Go-To Expert’. Over the last decade she has worked with over 300 partners; coached, trained and mentored over 2000 professionals at every level of the UK’s most ambitious professional practices.