- Can you have too many relationships with introducers? (part 1)
- How To Integrate Continuous Improvement Into Your Organization’s Culture And Daily Activities
- Identify The Strengths Of Your Services And Where Improvements Can Be Leveraged
- How To Succeed In A Continually Changing And Unstructured Workplace
- 6 tips to get back in touch with an old colleague
- Paving the Last Mile of Big Data Analytics
- Important Considerations For An Organizational Restructuring
- Elevator Speech 2.0 = Elevator Dialogue
- 4 ways to qualify a lead
- Is the Trusted Advisor Still Trusted?
PwC: M&A deal values reach post-crisis high
January 30, 2013
By Rob Starr, Content Manager, Big4.com
Despite a 9.6% decline in deal volumes in 2012, the aggregate value of announced deals climbed 10.5% to reach its highest level since the market peak in 2007 according to PwC.
This according to PwC’s latest deals report: 2012 Year in Review: Q4 Deals Quarterly and 2013 Outlook.
The energy sector regained the title of the top targeted industry in Canadian M&A – accounting for 29% of published transaction values. In addition, PwC reports the Nexen Inc. and Progress Energy deals, other transactions leading the industry to the top were the acquisition of Celtic Exploration by affiliates of Exxon Mobile Corp and a joint venture agreement between Encana Corp. And PetroChina.
More mega deals were announced in 2012 than at any other time in the past five years. The 49 deals over $1 billion were worth an aggregate $123 billion, or more than 58% of all deal values during the past year.
Foreign acquisitions of Canadian targets accounted for 27% of total M&A activity according to PwC. Five countries were responsible for 89% of all inbound activity with companies headquartered in China (39%), the U.S. (20%) and Switzerland (12%) leading the charge.
PwC Canada helps organizations and individuals create the value they’re looking for. More than 5,700 partners and staff in offices across the country are committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, consulting and deals services. PwC Canada is a member of the PwC network of firms with more than 180,000 people in 158 countries. Find out more by visiting us at www.pwc.com/ca.