Despite their unique challenges, mid-size companies tend to have many of the same IT priorities as their much larger counterparts. The IT Challenges mid-size organizations face today are complex. A recent McKinsey poll of senior IT executives identified the following key IT challenges,
– Generate more value from Data
– Improve Security
– Reduce cost of existing IT Assets and operations
– Support growing number of end user devices / applications
– Develop / Deploy new applications
– Migrate legacy applications to cloud infrastructure
In order to successfully address these challenges, the mid size organization often needs to quickly understand their unique set of internal IT challenges, those areas within their current business model can ‘get in the way’ or prevent successful execution.
The mid-size business model characteristics that I often see curtail successful IT delivery include the following;
- Hard to justify large investments in IT systems or infrastructure
- Limited payback or ROI. The mid size firm may lack sufficient scale
- Difficult to attract needed IT talent, and a lack of expertise
- Revenue does not necessarily equate to complexity….small companies can have very complex IT needs
- Tendency towards informality
- Few physical locations but a dispersed workforce
- Constant evolution of the business model to remain competitive
- Growing imperative for security and disaster recovery (eg: Target and Hurricane Sandy )
Failing to address these challenges, manifest themselves in 2 major areas; primarily disappointing or failed IT projects and a reluctance to take advantage of new IT models and trends.
My experience however, is that there is light at the end of the tunnel ! Recognizing the challenges is the tough part. Working with our clients, we address each item with a specific action plan and realistic approach to deliver capability that meets expectations. In most cases, the small to mid-size organization can face their IT challenges, and move forward with some specific help to ‘punch above their weight’ !
Timothy E. Reed is CEO of ReedITC and can be reached at (917) 374 -6241 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.linkedin.com/in/timreed/. ReedITC is a full-service IT and operations consulting firm focused on small to mid-size firms in NYC, Fairfield and Westchester counties.